Tuesday 24 August 2021

Olympic Sport Report

 Rowing



Rowing is a Sport where you move oars through the water repeatedly, whilst gaining speed to go backwards. Rowing is a sport where you use not only your arms but your legs and your stomach muscles too. 


History


The oars movement performed by the athletes can be dated back to Ancient Egypt. The oars were even used for some giant naval war vessels. In the Ancient times, every Popular Civilisation used rowing for public transport, war and commerce. It was thought to be a way to increase their progress during war and peace. 


Different Types Of Boats


Rowing has a wide variety of different types of boats, but the fastest style is a long thin aerodynamic boat. In rowing there are many different types of which that are split into two categories, 1 category is Sweep Rowing, and the other is sculling, sculling is when you have two oars each in different hands, and sweep rowing is you guessed it, rowing with 1 oar, that oar is held in both your hands.


 About My Aunty ( Emma Twigg )


Emma Twigg is an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST, she won her Gold medal at the 2020 Tokyo games, even though she retired after the Rio Olympics, she came back stronger and tougher. Her first Olympics were in 2004, and she made it into the final but roughly came 8th, she missed the podium in London by 3 secs, and was 0.3 seconds away from 3rd in Rio, so she was very determined to win. Emma was a silver medalist in the 2019 World Champs, but it wasn't enough so she went to the Tokyo Olympics and won gold. She has some very cool and handsome nephews ( me and my brothers). Her hometown is Cambridge in NZ, it is known to a lot of NZ Olympians such as most of the rowing team, the cycling team and much more.




Rowings 1st Olympic event was the 1900 Paris Olympic games, back then the oars were made out of wood so as you can imagine it must've been a lot slower. Rowing originated in England where they used it as public transport. The estimated number of rowers sits just above 3 billion, that's a lot.It is an amazing sport and I encourage you to do it.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Louis, what a great post. You have supplied a lot of information about rowing. Rowing is one of my favourite events to watch in the olympics. You must be very proud of your Aunty. Do you think you would like to do rowing when you are a bit older?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs Judkins,
    Thank you for your feed back I do really like rowing the only thing is, is that when I looked at my Aunt's hands they had a lot of blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louis, that must hurt. I don't like blisters. I wonder if you would get used to them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the blisters feel really dry and hard so I thing it doesn't bother her.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post